(All photos not credited courtesy of Square One Organic and Del Maguey). Some recipes adapted by Michael Nagy.
Square One Organic Spirits, LLC – Novato, California
Square One, a pioneer in organic spirits, uses 100% organic Montana rye and pure water from the aquifer originating from the Teton Mountains in Wyoming. The bottle labels are made from a blend of bamboo, sugarcane and cotton, which are also organic.
Allison Evanow, Founder and CEO of Square One is particularly proud of their vodka flavored with Bergamot, a flavor best known for its use in Earl Grey tea. The spirit is a blend of organic bergamot citrus layered with the oils of mandarin, navel, and tangerine oranges, as well as essences of ginger, coriander, and juniper.
“I chose the distinctive bergamot because, as a sour orange, its peel have remarkable grassy, floral, and tangy qualities,” explains Evanow. “Using our approach of layering multiple botanicals in spirits, we take this fruit out of obscurity and create an orange-based clear spirit with greater depth and character than what is typically found among singularly flavored orange vodkas.”
Products: Organic vodkas – Straight, Bergamot, Basil, Botanical, and Cucumber.
Orange Amaretto Sour
- 1.5 oz Square One Bergamot Organic Vodka
- 1/2 oz Luxardo Amaretto Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- Optional 1 egg white
- Garnish Maraschino cherry
Prep - Dry shake egg white in mixing tin. Add other ingredients with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish maraschino cherry.
- 1 oz Square One Bergamot Organic Vodka
- 1.5 oz Manzanilla or Dry Amontillado Sherry
- 2 slices of orange
- 3 raspberries
- splash of agave syrup (1:1 agave to water)
Prep - Muddle one slice of orange, 2 raspberries, and agave in a mixing glass. Add other ingredients and ice. Add orange slice and raspberry to a stemless wine glass. Shake and strain into the stemless wine glass filled with crushed ice.
- 1.5 oz Square One Bergamot Organic Vodka
- 3/4 oz Aperol
- Fill with grapefruit soda (San Pelligrino)
- Garnish grapefruit and mandarin orange wheels in glass
Prep - In a mixing tin with ice, add all ingredients except grapefruit soda. Layer oranges and grapefruit wheels in ice in rocks glass. Shake and strain into rocks glass.
Photo courtesy of www.ahealthylifeforme.com
- 2 oz. Square One Organic Cucumber Vodka
- 1/2 oz Combier d'Orange Liqueur
- 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
- Dash of simple syrup,
- cucumber slice for garnish
Recipe courtesy of Allison Evanow
- 1.5 oz Square One Botanical Organic Vodka
- 1/2 oz Rhum Clement Creole
- 1/2 oz Blackberry Shrub syrup
- 1/4 lemon juice
- Ginger Beer
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 2 frozen blackberries thawed for garnish
Prep - In a mixing glass, add all ingredients and one-inch sprig of rosemary, except ginger beer. Add ice. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled collins glass. Garnish 2 blackberries on a skewer and sprig of rosemary.
To make blackberry shrub -
- 1 cup whole frozen blackberries, thawed and rinsed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine blackberries and sugar in a bowl. Lightly crush the blackberries to release their juices (use a fork). Cover and let sit 8 hours or overnight. Shake the bowl every once in awhile to make sure the sugar is incorporating into the juice. Half way through, stir the mixture and re-cover.
- Next, strain the mixture through a fine strainer into an airtight container. Add the vinegar and shake well (if any sugar has remained, shake hard to dissolve here). Store the container in the refrigerator for 6 days.
- After 6 days give it a taste. Usually, by day 6 the sharpness of the vinegar has started to pull back and let the sweetness from the sugar and fruit stand out more. Keep in mind, this is a vinegar base: it will ALWAYS taste like vinegar. The vinegar will mellow more as it sits but its zing is what is wanted in a shrub.
For this shrub, there is a nice sweet and sour balance from the ingredients. The blackberries produce a tartness that is heightened from the vinegar while the sugar cuts through to keep your mouth from puckering. Strong nose of vinegar with subtle berry.
Mr. Pacult's review from the Spirit Journal of Square One Botanical Vodka: "Silvery clear and pure. Smells alluringly of fresh flowers, spring garden, and cooking spices; additional air exposure brings out citrus rind and coriander in spades; hey, I like this concept a lot. Entry is gently sweet and very floral (orange blossom); midpalate offers deeper tastes of rosemary, fresh herbs, rose petal, and thyme. Finishes off clean, amazingly garden-like, off-dry, and fresh. Good enough to start a whole new trend in flavored vodka."
Del Maguey Single Village Mezcal – Oaxaca, Mexico
Since 1995, Del Maguey has been creating 100% certified organic Mezcal produced all by hand in the traditional way. Defining the ‘terroir’ from which the agave is sourced, Del Maguey’s single village Mezcals are named for each town from which they are sourced.
Because they only use agave and water in fermentation, these Mezcals have a pure, authentic taste that has singled them out as a favorite amongst Mezcal connoisseurs and bartenders. Del Maguey elevates a cocktail, but the selections’ complex flavors shine when sampled ‘neat.’
Products: Del Maguey line of Mezcals – VIDA, Crema De Mezcal, San Luis Del Rio, Chichicapa, Santo Domingo Albarradas, Tobala, Minero-Santa Catarina Minas, Pechuga, and Iberico.
- 2 oz Del Maguey Vida Organic Mezcal
- 1 oz Pimm's No. 1
- 1/2 oz Sugar Syrup
- 1 Dash of Fee Brothers Peach Bitters
- 1 Dash of BAR KEEP Chinese Bitters
- Top with San Pellegrino Limonata
- Garnish with 2 lemon wedges
Prep - In a mixing glass, add all ingredients, except San Pellegrino. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled coupe. Garnish lemon wedges.
Melon Ball Mezcal
- 1 oz Del Maguey VIDA Mezcal
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 oz Midori Melon Liq
- 3/4 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz fresh orange juice
- 1 lime wheel.
Prep - Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all of the ingredients except the lime wheel and shake well. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with the lime wheel.
This neon-green drink is made with an intensely smoky flavor.
Recipe courtesy of Owen Thomson, Bourbon
- 1 oz Del Maguey San Luis del Rio Mezcal
- 1 oz Lillet Blanc
- 1 oz Grapefruit juice
- ¼ oz Fresh lemon juice
- ½ oz Aji syrup
- 1 Egg white
Prep - Dry shake egg white in a mixing tin then add all ingredients with ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled cocktail coupe.
- 1 oz Del Maguey Minero Organic Mezcal
- 1 oz St-Germain elderflower liqueur
- 1/2 oz Rosso Vermouth, like Carpano Antica
- 1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon twist garnish
Prep - Fill a cocktail shaker with large ice cubes. Add to the shaker the mezcal, St-Germain elderflower liqueur, vermouth, and lemon juice. Shake vigorously for 15 seconds. Let the shaker rest until the outside starts to sweat. Fill an old fashioned glass with large ice cubes. Strain the contents of the shaker into the glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.