I put the final touches on my 'Distillery Profile' for Chilled Magazine and the article should be published in the next issue...If you haven't subscribed to the magazine yet, please visit Chilled Magazine and sign up for a subscription for only $20/year...You can also view their content online as well...You won't be disappointed. For my special followers and fans, I will be distributing free copies of the mag with my article...You can buy some copies at your local Books-A-Million store.
I'm really excited about how it turned out...Beautiful images, wonderful story of three family farms in Minnesota producing some great certified organic spirits from seed to glass...I had the opportunity to speak to the Master Distiller and owner of the farm to get there perspective on how they make such a great and safe environmentally product and to gain insight into the process of making it...I received 3 bottles of their organic vodka, gin, and cucumber-infused vodka as a token of their gratitude and appreciation for bringing their story to life...After tasting, I must say that they are the smoothest and fresh spirits I have ever tasted in all my years...I still have plenty left if anyone wants to imbibe with me...They aren't available in PA unless you place a special order at your local wine and spirits shop...Believe me, they are worth it.
Here is some background and info on the products, tasting notes, and infusions for their award-winning status from Food & Wine magazine, Wine Enthusiast, and Gold Medal at the 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition and some recipes from their collection. You can also visit their website at http://www.prairievodka.com
Prairie Organic Spirits’ first product, Prairie Organic Vodka, was launched in 2008 to meet an unmet demand from consumers looking for an elevated cocktail experience. Individuals, now more than ever, care about what they put in their glass, on their tables and into their bodies.
The Prairie Organic Spirits portfolio consists of Prairie Vodka, Prairie Gin and Prairie Cucumber-Flavored Organic Vodka – the two latter products just launched in summer 2013 – which are perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks, as well as in your favorite cocktail or infusion.
Prairie Organic Spirits are made with single vintage, 100% gluten free, non-GMO organic corn that is grown at three family-owned and operated Midwest farms. After harvesting, the crop is brought to a nearby farmer-owned distillery where it is handcrafted into some of the world’s best tasting spirits.
Each family works in their field up to three times longer than conventional farmers, all to cultivate the nutrient-rich soil and organic corn that will become Prairie spirits. Hear more about the farmers here: http://prairievodka.com/three-family-farms/
Prairie’s single vintage organic corn is distilled to taste, not a prescribed number of times. That’s because climate, soil, and moisture levels give each small batch its own unique character.
Prairie Organic Spirits are available at liquor stores, grocers, restaurants and bars in select markets across the country, at a suggested retail price of $19.99 for a 750mL bottle.
- Taste - Hints of melon and pear on the nose, creamy on the palate, bright and smooth at the finish.
- Craft - Each batch comes from a single vintage, organic #2 yellow corn and is distilled to taste, between 4 and 6 times (this is what makes them unique).
- Respect - Their fields are chemical, herbicide, and pesticide-free and farmer-owned distillery was the first to gasify wood chips and corn cobs to produce energy (environmentally responsible).
- People - Grown on the prairie by three family farms who own the land, the distillery and the quiet respect of all around.
- Taste - The powerful herbal nose bursts with mint, eucalyptus and sage followed by a hint of juniper. Ripe cherry and exotic spices complement a dry, refreshing mouth feel and develop into resounding herbal flavors. The herbs continue into a very long, delicate finish.
- Craft - same as above
- Respect - same as above
- People - same above
Prairie Cucumber Vodka
- Taste - Hints of mild cucumber peel and flesh on the nose, refreshing on the palate, crisp and clean at the finish.
- Craft - same as above
- Respect - same as above
- People - same as above
Reserve 1/3 vodka, fill with ingredients, top off with vodka, secure cap tightly. Store in fridge or a dark cool place for 3-4 days for optimal flavor. Enjoy!
- Strawberry-Basil - 9 strawberries sliced, 5 leaves of fresh basil, serve with soda water
- Orange/Tangerine - 1 orange sliced, 1 tangerine sliced, remove both rinds, serve with soda water
- Jalapeno/Horseradish/Garlic - 1 jalapeno sliced, 1 tbsp horseradish grated, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, perfect in Bloody Mary
- Honeycrisp - 1 large Honeycrisp apple (or other kinds), remove core with apple corer and slice, serve in Apple Martini
- Espresso/Cinnamon - 3 tbsp of whole espresso beans, 3 cinnamon sticks, try in a White Russian
- Lemon/Lime - 1 lemon sliced, 1 lime sliced, remove both rinds, refreshing with tonic water
Cucumber Mojito (pictured above)
- 2 parts Prairie Cucumber Vodka
- 1 part freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- garnish lime wedge
Preparation: Muddle mint, sugar, and lime juice in a collins glass. Fill with ice, add vodka and top with soda water. Shake or mix. Garnish with a lime wedge.
- 2 oz Prairie Organic Gin
- 2 tsp Dry Vermouth
- 1 Rosemary sprig
- 3 pitted olives
- skewer 3 olives for garnish
Preparation: Combine gin, dry vermouth, and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake comfortably. Strain into cocktail glass. Strip leaves from bottom of half of rosemary sprig and skewer olives for garnish.
For more recipes, visit http://www.prairievodka.com/recipes/