The Mandarin Sunset cocktail traditionally has been served over ice, but I prefer it up in a chilled cocktail glass with an added twist: blackberry brandy layered, not mixed. This cocktail is aesthetically appealing when you layer the blackberry brandy with the back of a barspoon to create the sunset. You could also use grenadine to create a sunrise, although I wouldn't recommend drinking it at 6 am. The result is a beautiful sunset perfect to sip on a balcony or patio when the sun goes down in the summertime. The overwhelming aroma and taste is citrus and refreshing, but does have a hint of watermelon and some berry when you add the watermelon pucker and blackberry brandy. The berry flavor comes out as you near the bottom of the glass. I introduced this cocktail to the Buddha Buddha Martini Bar & Cocktail Lounge in dowtown Harrisburg in the summer of 2013. Unfortunately, it appears to have been removed from the cocktail menu. It is important to use Absolut Mandarin, not another brand of orange vodka, because the mandarin flavor differs slightly from orange flavor.
It involves Absolut Mandarin vodka, Dekuyper watermelon schnapps, orange juice, blackberry brandy, and a spiral orange twist. The result will be salmon-colored with a purple hue on the bottom. The picture posted is a result of me drinking it one night and forgetting to take the picture. Fortunately, I remembered before finishing.
Have a great weekend! If you get adventurous and decide to make this wonderful cocktail, please let me know your thoughts. I will be back on Monday to continue educating the world 'one cocktail at a time'. Happy Mixing!
- 2 oz Absolut Mandarin vodka
- 1 oz Dekuyper Watermelon Schnapps
- splash of orange juice (approx 1/4 oz)
- 1/2 oz blackberry brandy layered at the end
- garnish spiral orange twist
- Fill mixing glass or pint glass with ice.
- Add ingredients over ice, except blackberry brandy and cover with a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain the liquid into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Layer blackberry brandy with the back of a barspoon carefully (approx 1/2 oz). Check the layer as you pour.
- Garnish with a spiral orange twist by using a channel knife all the way around an orange, twist around finger to create spiral (hold for 10 sec), float partially in glass and over the edge.