Hot Buttered Rum is a favorite winter drink because it is both sweet and warm, which is just the kind of comfort we gravitate toward on the coldest days of the year. It is celebrated nationally on January 17th. It is an easy drink to make (main recipe below), though does take a little bit of time. This is where making the Hot Buttered Rum Mix ahead of time comes in handy. If you find yourself making the hot cocktail often - whether for yourself or at your bar or like to be in the kitchen - you may want to keep this mix in the refrigerator, then when you're ready for the drink, just add rum and hot water. It's that simple. To add a different touch, you can add some espresso coffee or light cream to mix or build with in a mug or glass.
Makes 25 servings
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp rum extract
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
To Make Hot Buttered Rum Mix:
- Mix the ingredients using a beater until everything is blended together.
- Store in a well sealed jar in the refrigerator until needed.
To Make a Hot Buttered Rum drink:
- Pour 1 1/2 ounces of light or dark rum into an Irish Coffee glass or mug.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the hot buttered rum mix.
- Fill with hot water (not boiling).
- Stir well.
If you don't want to go through all that prep, here is simpler recipe version of it for one cocktail at a time -
- 1 small slice soft butter
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Optional spices to taste: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, allspice
- Vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark rum
- Hot water
- Place the butter, sugar and spices at the bottom of an Irish Coffee glass or mug.
- Mix well or muddle.
- Pour in the rum and hot water.