The Honey Espresso cocktail is an all-season cocktail that can be enjoyed during warm and cold months. It serves as a perfect before-dinner or after-dinner cocktail, although I prefer it after dinner considering it has espresso in it. There are hundreds of bars that feature an 'Espresso Martini', but often are not prepared or made properly. The recipe here is taking it to a whole new level and a twist on the classic 'Espresso Martini'. The Honey Espresso was a staple of the Buddha Buddha Bar, especially for non-traditional martini drinkers or people who don't like stiff drinks. It is important to use freshly brewed espresso over regular coffee. It gives it that special zing and full-bodied taste and actually takes away from some of the alcohol punch.
It involves Absolut Vanilla vodka, but you can also use Stoli Vanil vodka if you prefer or are Russian or Polish (both are generally around the same cost), Kahlua coffee liqueur, Barenjager honey liqueur, freshly brewed espresso, and garnish three espresso beans for good luck and the Holy Trinity. Must be three or you will be staring at bad luck, or worse, wind up in Dante's Inferno . Barenjager is made from the same company in Germany that makes 'Jagermeister' and has a nice, sweet honey flavor that can be used in many different cocktails or just in your daily coffee (No, I'm not encouraging you to drink at work). A garnish variation would be to spend a little more money and buy rock candy sticks from a candy store or use teddy grahams. The result will be a dark brown/almost black-colored cocktail with a foamy coffee layer on top that will impersonate a pint of Guinness Beer. You can smell the aroma of coffee as soon as you put your nose near it. It is served up in a chilled cocktail glass.
Have a great weekend! If you get adventurous and decide to make this wonderful cocktail, please let me know your thoughts. I will be back on Monday to continue educating the world 'one cocktail at a time'. Happy Mixing!
- 2 oz Absolut Vanilla vodka or Stoli Vanil vodka
- 1/2 oz Kahlua Coffee
- 1/2 oz Barenjager Honey
- 1 oz or shot of espresso
- garnish 3 espresso beans or rock candy stick or teddy graham
- Brew espresso before-hand and cool to room temperature so you don't crack the glass.
- Fill mixing glass or pint glass with ice.
- Add ingredients over ice and cover with a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously to make it frothy.
- Strain the liquid into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Pour slowly to allow the foam to develop.
- Drop in 3 espresso beans or stick of rock candy or teddy graham on the cocktail napkin.