The Cable Car is one of my favorite signature drinks. It is a very refreshing summer cocktail with a hint of cinnamon, citrus, and lemon on the palate. It is a rum based cocktail which was inspired by the hearing of the tracks near the historic Starlight Room in San Francisco where the cocktail was created.
It involves Captain Morgan spiced rum and orange curacao, of which the original recipe calls for Marie Bizard. Marie Brizard is hard to find so you can use Grand Marnier instead, but its not quite the same. Use fresh lemon sour which is made by mixing 1 part simple syrup with 2 parts fresh lemon juice. Try not to use bottled sour mix. Add a splash of orange juice and a dash of grenadine. The orange juice and grenadine is my twist and reinvention of the classic. Rim a chilled cocktail glass with cinnamon and sugar mixture (2 parts of sugar to 1 part cinnamon) from a saucer. Use a slice of lime to make the rim sticky. Finish with an orange peel spiral by using a channel knife or citrus zester. Go all the way around the orange once.
- 1 1/2 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 3/4 oz Marie Brizard Orange Curacao
- 1 oz fresh lemon sour
- splash of orange juice (approx 1/4 oz)
- dash of grenadine (approx 1/8 oz)
- orange peel spiral for garnish
- super-fine sugar and cinnamon for rimming
- Rim a chilled cocktail glass with cinnamon and sugar (set aside).
- Pour the ingredients over ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well.
- Strain into the cocktail glass.
- Garnish with an orange peel spiral.