Many of my facebook friends chose 'apple' as one of their favorite flavors in winter cocktails. There is nothing like the taste of apple in a winter cocktail - it is soothing, warm, and comforting, especially in front of the fireplace on a cold night. These cocktails incorporate the apple flavor by liquor, liqieir, or juice/cider.
Apples have long been a favorite cocktail flavor. Whether it is hot apple cider, chilled apple juice or one of the tasty apple brandies, the flavor of the apple makes a great foundation for many mixed drinks. You will find that apple mixes well with a variety of flavors from the obvious cinnamon and caramel to the not-so-obvious mango and rosemary. When you are buying apple juice look for a bottle with the fewest additives for the truest flavor or, better yet, go with an organic apple juice as these typically have no extra ingredients.
- 1 oz Citrus Vodka
- 1/2 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liq
- 1/2 oz Simple Syrup
- fill 50/50 Apple Juice & Ginger Beer
- Garnish apple slice and lemon slice
Prep - Build all ingredients in an ice-filled collins glass or large rocks glass with ginger beer poured last. Stir gently. Garnish apple and lemon slice.
Spiced Apple (one of the signatures at my Martini Bar)
- 2 oz Pearl Apple Pie Vodka or Oddka Apple Vodka
- 1/2 oz McGillicuddy's Apple Pie Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Apple Cider
- 1/2 oz Fresh Cinnamon Syrup (2 cinnamon sticks broken into 4 - infused into simple syrup)
- sprinkle fresh ground cinnamon-sugar on top
- Garnish apple alice
Prep - Build all ingredients in an ice-filled shaker. Shake well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Sprinkle fresh cinnamon-sugar. Rimming glass with cinnamon-syrup (optional).
Applejack (staple after-dinner drink at Martini Bar and one of my favorites)
- 2 oz Laird's Applejack Brandy
- 1/2 oz diluted maple syrup (diluted half with water)
- 1/2 oz pulp-free orange juice
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
- Garnish lemon peel & orange peel
Prep - Build all ingredients in a mixing glass or tin. Shake well. Strain into large rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish peel from a lemon and orange.
Jolly Rancher (sweet and sour novelty drink, spring/summer cocktail, but fun)
- 1/2 oz Three Olives Green Apple Vodka or Pinnacle Grape Vodka or Watermelon vodka
- 1/2 oz peach schnapps
- 4 oz cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz fresh lemon sour
- Garnish 2 gummy jolly ranchers or orange/cherry umbrella
Prep - Build all ingredients in a mixing glass or tin. Shake well. Strain into an ice-filled collins glass. Garnish gummy ranchers or umbrella.
Corpse Reviver (classic drink that has been re-invented many times)
- 1 1/4 oz Brandy
- 3/4 oz Calvados or apple brandy (Laird's)
- 3/4 oz sweet vermouth
Prep - Build all ingredients in a mixing glass filled with half ice. Stir well. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or coupe.
Hot & Fruity Toddy (variation on Hot Toddy, hot drink great for old man winter)
- 1 oz apple brandy
- 1 oz Gran Gala Orange Liq
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 dashes of orange bitters (available at specialty stores, like the restaurant store in Camp Hill)
- Hot water
- Garnish apple slice or orange twist or both
Prep - Buiild all ingredients in an Irish Coffee glass with handle or after-dinner glass (no ice), except hot water and bitters. Top with hot water and bitters. Stir well. Garnish apple, orange, or both.